Masters of Style 15: Andrew Poupart @styleafter50

This is the last of the current chapter of Masters of Style (and I apologise that it's a week overdue). The range of style influences covered by this series so far has been satisfyingly diverse, covering most quarters of the globe, and also eclectic, ranging from vintage workwear through American preppy to dapper bespoke tailoring.

I am bringing this chapter of Masters of Style to an end with US-based Andy Poupart, who will need no introduction to many of you. Those who follow Andy on Instagram (link below) will know that he comes into the well-tailored rather than casual category as his focus is mainly on dapper bespoke tailoring. Andy and his equally stylish wife have been featured several times in The Rake and he is often in London where he is known to many of its bespoke tailors.


GF: Please introduce yourself, what’s your name, where are you based and what do you do?

AP: My name is Andrew Poupart. I live in San Jose, California, and I am a software development manager.

GF: When and how did you first become interested in style, in clothes and dressing well?

AP: I’ve been interested in clothes and style since I was very young. I always had a clear idea of how I would like to dress and I’ve collected inspiration and ideas since then.


GF: How would you describe your style?

AP: I’d like to think that I project a confident elegance. I prefer English style over Italian or American styles. But I enjoy experimenting with clothes, too, and I’m not afraid to wear color or looks that others might not.

GF: What sort of clothes do you wear and where do you find them?

AP: I wear tailored clothing for the most part, outside the house. Even when dressing casually, I will usually wear a shirt and jacket.


GF: Do you buy mainly ready to wear, tailored or vintage?

AP: I don’t buy vintage. I find RTW trousers can fit me quite well. But almost all my clothing is tailored.

AP: Please describe the main style influences in your life - past and present. 

GF: So many influences. One of the earliest that I recall was Robert Hardy’s character Siegfried Farnon in the late ‘70s BBC series All Creatures Great And Small. Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, William Powell in The Thin Man, Robert Redford’s character in Out Of Africa, and more. In real life there are many people who I admire, such as Peter Zottolo, Andreas Klow, Erik Mannby, and others. I also find quite a lot of inspiration in the Apparel Arts illustrations of Lawrence Fellows.

GF: What are your favourite brands and stores?

AP: Favorite brands would tend to be accessories, such as H.N. White and Le Noeud Papillon for ties, Begg for scarves, Lavabre Cadet for gloves, Simonnot-Godard and Sera Fine Silk for pocket squares. Budd and Camessi for shirts, Longmire for cufflinks. Floris for cologne. Most of the shoes I wear are by Edward Green. Optimo Hats, in Chicago, for hats.


GF: What is/are your favourite individual item(s) of clothing?

AP: I would probably say my ivory, double breasted dinner jacket. I worked with my tailor to create a jacket as close as we could make it to Humphrey Bogart’s dinner jacket in Casablanca.

GF: Would you say that your style is still developing? If so, how?

AP:  For sure. My tastes, I think, are constantly changing. Some elements are consistent, others change. For instance, I avoided three-button jackets for years, but I have recently commissioned suits with three button jackets.

GF: What skills would you say that you have that help you in your search for style?

AP:  Curiosity, perhaps. I also think what looks good on me and, perhaps more importantly, what does or will not. Plus, I would say that I have the confidence to wear the clothes I want to wear.

GF: What are your top tips for others on a search for style?

AP:  I think it is important to understand fit. How clothes fit and what it means to have clothes that fit is very important. Buy and wear clothes that make you feel good about yourself, whatever that may mean, is crucial. For example, if you think that wearing a suit and tie is a chore and something to be endured, then you will project that discomfort. Conversely, if, like me, you love to wear a dinner jacket, then you will project confidence. Wear clothes that do that for you.

GF: Where can you be found on Instagram and other media?

AP: I’m on Instagram as @styleafter50

This is the last Masters of Style for a while. I plan to revive it at some point. If you wish to be featured or to suggest a suitable subject, please contact me.

Click here and scroll down for more Masters of Style



from Grey Fox https://ift.tt/q9lKknF
via IFTTT

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post