Artist & Stick Maker: Helen Elizabeth Roberts

One of the benefits of Instagram is the contacts that can be made through it. I heard from artist, crafter and stick maker, Helen Elizabeth Roberts about her work and couldn't resist showing you the wonderfully painted sticks made that she makes.

I haven't seen the sticks in the flesh, but they look so beautiful in the images I wanted to talk to her to find out more about her craft.

Helen Elizabeth Roberts, artist and stick maker

GF: Please introduce yourself

HER: Hello, my name is Helen Elizabeth Roberts I am an artist, stick maker and crafter. Having a firm sense of place I am inspired by my surroundings, capturing the spirit of where I live. Using a variety of different mediums I communicate rural life through my artwork. Often depicting the interaction between the rural community and its wildlife historically and present day.

I adore the coast & countryside and all that goes with it. My special love is for the forests, the mountains and the fast running rivers, streams and brooks. I have a passion when it comes to animals and birds having the luxury of being surrounded by them at home. The countryside, wildlife and animals have a very strong influence on my work. But I do like to paint other subjects when the opportunities arise.

A selection of sticks made and painted by Helen Elizabeth Roberts

GF: You describe yourself as an artist and stick maker, how did you come to be an artist and what led you to stick making?

HER: I have always been that person, even as a child who could be found sketching, painting, or making things in my spare time. But my creations were rarely seen by anyone outside my family circle. Realising as I have matured the only thing stopping me now is me. So your question “how did I become an artist?" I would answer: I have always been one but only recently have I been brave enough to shout “I am an artist, this is who I am”. Stick making however came about through a sort of challenge. My partner is a big shooting man and wanted a new thumb stick. He wanted something unique and different but he could not find anything he liked. I said I would have a go at making him one and here I am today a few years on still making and painting bespoke one off pieces.

GF: How did you learn the skills of stick making?

HER: The internet is such a valuable source of information and help. Skilled and sometimes people learning too happily sharing their knowledge and experience online. So I made the most of this source and this is how I learnt. I still have the first stick I crafted depicting flying grouse with a shooting man, his two English pointers by his side. It is a good reminder of where it all started and how much I have progressed over the few years. I learnt a lot by trial and error, using different processes until I had a method that suited me best.

GF: Do you see your sticks as practical objects or as works of art?

HER: It is mostly about the art for me so I see them as unique works of art first which have the advantage of being a practical piece too. Some clients use the sticks for walking, hiking or shooting loving to show them off when out and about. Whilst others are stick collector’s, people wanting an art piece to decorate their hall in a stick stand or to be hung up as wall art. Either way they are a great talking point.

GF: Please describe the process of selecting the wood, making and painting your sticks.

HER: All sticks are lovingly handcrafted made from natural materials, constructed using traditional stick making methods.

These sticks are very tactile as well as stunning and different to look at. The handles are lovely to hold. You can feel the contours of the wood on the shaft and part of the painting technique means the painted surface is not always totally smooth giving it more life and interest.

As I am so busy I now have a wonderful supplier in the UK who provides the stag horn and straightens the shafts which are seasoned for at least 1 year. I handpick all my stock and look for a shaft that is as thick and straight where possible. I do use thinner shafts at times when required. If a person wants a commission they can choose if they would like a thinner or thicker stick.

For stag horn thumbsticks and wading staffs, naturally shed red deer antler is used to make a beautiful tactile handle or thumb rest. Tipped and finished off with black buffalo horn or cow horn which I hand work and polish to a high gloss. I add a collar of buffalo horn which is also worked and polished. To finish a high gloss vanish is used. All sticks are fitted with a brass (or rubber if grip is required) ferrule to protect the bottom.

Each stick is hand painted, the shaft framing the unique piece of original art work signed and dated by myself. And finally to finish, marine varnish is used to add lustre and further protection to the naturally durable materials and artwork.

I work personally with each client, listen to their story for the piece so I can capture the spirit of what they want to see and feel each time they gaze upon their finished artwork. I have a league time of 2 months for a bespoke commissioned stick from preparation to the finished product.

Sticks by Helen Elizabeth Roberts

GF: Have you always had an interest in rural life and wildlife?

HER: Yes, but have not always had the opportunity to embrace it fully till now. You could truly describe my life journey by looking at my past and present attire. I have gone from being suited and high heel booted, to Dubarry deck shoes Musto sailing coats with life jacket then finally at last having my green hunter wellies, Barbour wax jacket and Tweed flat cap. I have always been an animal lover having pets all my life. Even from a young age I always adored our British coast and countryside appreciating everything it has to offer. I moved near the coast in my 30’s and deeper into the countryside in my 40’s really embracing rural life fully. Now still surrounded by various pets and animals with my partner I truly feel rural in every way.

GF: How do you see your business developing?

HER: I do not know what the future holds at this stage. This is the most contented stage of my life being with my animals in a rural environment having the privilege to be able to create works of art that bring joy to peoples lives by giving them a little piece of countryside in an art form.

With the positive feedback I receive I can see my business growing steadily especially as I now have more exposure. But, I would like to develop my business in a way that does not dilute my unique style. And to be able to still provide the personal touch which people love when commissioning a piece of art.

As well as my my unique hand painted sticks I also offer limited edition gicleé fine art prints, homeware and natural feather hat pins.

GF: Many thanks for this fascinating insight into your life as artist, stick maker and nature lover.

Links:
Website: www.helenelizabethstudios.com
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO-lmYtKwpPO5YemehXbaxg
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/helenelizabethstudios/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/helenelizabethstudios



from Grey Fox https://ift.tt/Wy24Bst
via IFTTT

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post